Sports / The Prairie Fire / March 8, 2017

Senior outfielder Drake Sykes went six for seven and drove in nine runs over the Baseball team’s doubleheader to open the season.

Senior outfielder Drake Sykes picked up where he left off last season in the opening doubleheader for the Knox Baseball season.

Sykes, the reigning Midwest Conference South Player of the Year, finished with six hits in seven at-bats, also reaching base after being walked and hit by a pitch. With two doubles, a homerun and nine RBIs combined between the two games, Sykes’ season is off to a strong start.

Sykes was not alone in his strong start, as the team dominated Robert Morris University-Springfield in both games, running up totals of 20-4 and 15-3.

Senior pitcher Alec Jordan could not be touched in his first of the season, lasting five innings and striking out seven.

Senior Ryan Weitendorf, junior Matt McCaffrey and sophomore Tristyn Ruiz each scored five runs between the two games.

The team plays next over spring break in their annual Florida tournament trip against teams from all over the country.

With such a strong start to the season, the Knox Baseball team looks poised to compete at a high level against their conference opponents this season, hoping to challenge for a conference championship.

Jonathan Schrag, Sports Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a sophomore planning to double-major in political science and history. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to both Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  alec jordan drake sykes knox baseball matt mccaffrey POTW ryan weitendorf tristyn ruiz

Knox Engineering strives for practical skills
Young players improving quickly