Campus / Community / Featured / News / April 5, 2017

Pritchard re-elected Galesburg mayor

Mayor John Pritchard was re-elected for a second term by Galesburg on April 4, 2017. (TKS Archives)

Galesburg re-elected Mayor John Pritchard on April 4, 2017. Unofficial totals from the City of Galesburg’s Election Commission indicated that Pritchard won 57.51 percent of the vote in the city, with 2,557 votes. Challenger Walt McAllister won 42.49 percent of the vote with 1,889 votes.

Pritchard celebrated at Iron Spike Brewing Company with supporters, according to the Galesburg Register-Mail. He ran on the platform of creating job opportunities and economic growth in the city.

“I think whether you ran for mayor or alderman or whatever, I think the job issue was foremost in voters’ minds,” Pritchard told the Register-Mail.

Walt McAllister lost his bid for mayor on April 4, 2017, when Galesburg re-elected Mayor John Pritchard. (Utsah Pandey/TKS)

The Election Commission’s unofficial totals indicate that a total of 4,483 ballots were cast, for a 23.85 percent turnout rate of Galesburg’s 18,793 total registered voters.

McAllister sought public office for the first time in this election and focused on creating policies that would attract new residents to Galesburg and keep current ones, including Knox and Carl Sandburg College students. He proposed opening a community center and investing in technology and alternative energy.

McAllister gathered with supporters Tuesday night at Q’s Cafe, which he owns.

“We ran the campaign we wanted to run; we got our message out, and that probably resonated. We think that we can move this town forward in a positive manner, and I think a lot of people saw that, and hopefully it’ll inspire other people to continue to speak positively,” McAllsiter said, according to the Register-Mail.

McAllister’s campaign Facebook page was also updated with a statement for supporters:

Editor-in-Chief
Rachel Landman is a senior majoring in creative writing and minoring in journalism and environmental studies. This is her fourth year working for TKS after working as a News Editor her sophomore and junior years. She worked as a volunteer writer as a freshman. Rachel is the recipient of two first place awards from the Illinois College Press Association for investigative reporting and news story. In addition to The Knox Student, her work has been published in the Galesburg Register-Mail and Catch Magazine. She studied abroad in London during Winter and Spring Term of her junior year. Twitter: @rachellandman_

Tags:  Galesburg john pritchard mayoral election Walt McAllister

Eva Longoria to give 2017 Commencement Address
Earth Month highlights sustainable future