Sports / The Prairie Fire / April 12, 2017

Freshman Samantha Nichols finished second both days of the Knox College Spring Invite, making her TKS’ Player of the Week.

The Knox Women’s Golf team hosted the Knox College Spring Invite this past weekend, with freshman Samantha Nichols continuing her impressive rookie season.

On Friday, Nichols shot an 87, finishing second among all of the competition.

On Saturday, Nichols finished with a score of 85, again placing second among all the participants.

Nichols has helped resurrect the Women’s Golf program here at Knox, getting the team active for the first time in several years.

In the fall, Nichols had top-five finishes in several tournaments, attracting the attention of many conference opponents.

Nichols was named the Midwest Conference player of the week for her successful tournaments during the fall, as well as being the first medalist in a tournament for the Knox Women’s Golf program since 2002.

A native of Waimea, Hawaii, Nichols came a long way to dominate the MWC Women’s Golf events for years to come, providing hope and promise for a program trying to continue its rebirth.

Nichols will look to continue her strong start this next weekend at Illinois Wesleyan.

Jonathan Schrag, Sports Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a sophomore planning to double-major in political science and history. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to both Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  knox college spring invite knox golf knox women's golf Samantha Nichols

Students launch businesses with Start-Up Term
Softball focuses on community