Sports / The Prairie Fire / April 26, 2017

Wells confident in Baseball’s chances

Senior catcher Kameron Wells makes contact with a pitch against Robert Morris University-Springfield on March 4. Wells had two hits in three at-bats in this game, driving in three runs and scoring another himself. Wells has managed to carry this strong start throughout the season, working to a .347 batting average in his 20 appearances. (Photo courtesy of David Wells)

With a 11-14 record so far, the Knox Baseball team is in the thick of the postseason race in the Midwest Conference. Senior Kameron Wells has been a key piece for the team all year, batting .347 and appearing in 20 games. With the end of the season and graduation quickly approaching, we caught up with Wells to hear about the season, his motivations and what his plans are for the future.

The Knox Student: Where are you from?

Kameron Wells: I am from Champaign, Ill., the greatest city in the world, where I attended Champaign Central High School and I played baseball, basketball and golf.

TKS: What serves as your inspiration?

Wells: My inspirations come from a lot of things. I would say first off, it comes from my parents and family. They are supportive-coming to most games and being a great example for me growing up. Then I would say my teammates are also my inspiration. Just not wanting to let them down gets me to work harder and harder each and every day.

TKS: What’s your outlook for the rest of the season?

Wells: I’m excited for the rest of the season. I think we have some winnable games coming up this weekend and that will put us right back in the conference race.

TKS: What thoughts come to mind when reflecting on this being your fourth and final year at Knox?

Wells: It’s crazy to think how fast four years can go by. I wouldn’t say the sadness has kicked in yet but with two weeks left in my college baseball career it is pretty sad, but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.

TKS: Who is your favorite professional baseball player?

Wells: Nick Swisher, because he has fun on the baseball diamond every single day, and that’s what I try to do as well.

Senior Kameron Wells prepares to receive a pitch during the Baseball team’s game against Robert Morris University-Springfield, a 20-4 victory. Wells plans to attend the University of Illinois next fall to earn a masters degree in Information Management. (Photo courtesy of David Wells)

TKS: What have been your favorite memories of your time here?

Wells: Just hanging out with my teammates on and off the field and the memories I will cherish for the rest of my life.

TKS: What is your major and what are your plans after college?

Wells: I am a Computer Science major and I currently plan to attend University of Illinois next fall to receive my masters degree in Information Management.

TKS: Do you plan to go any further with baseball after Knox?

Wells: I would love to get into coaching sometime in my life whether that is as simple as coaching kids one day or coaching at a college or university, that would be pretty cool.

TKS: What are some activities you enjoy outside of baseball?

Wells: I enjoy hanging out with friends, playing campus golf, basketball and video games.

TKS: Are there any specific games you are looking forward to?

Wells: You have to look forward to playing Monmouth every year, but my best friend from high school plays for Illinois College, so I’m excited for that one. MacMurray beat us once this year so I am looking forward to that one and Robert Morris Peoria [Campus] has a kid who used to go to Knox so you could say that I am excited for all the games coming up.

Tags:  kameron wells knox baseball MWC player profile

Wearing a jacket for more than just warmth
One Mind: Looking at genetics and environment