Student Senate Briefing: Senate approves $1,556.50 in additional funds requests

During Student Senate’s weekly meeting on Thursday, April 27, senators approved of giving a total of $1,556.50 to various clubs on campus, including Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlan (M.E.Ch.A.) and Ultimate Frisbee, bringing the Senate budget for additional funds request down to $4,465.37.

According to M.E.Ch.A. representatives senior Stephanie Cordero Gonzales and junior Adriana Ortiz, M.E.Ch.A. was approved for a request of $1,200 to bring a group known as Circle & Ciphers to campus. The group originally began in Chicago as a youth leadership program that uses peace circles and improvisational ciphers to educate and empower young people of color. M.E.Ch.A. will be holding an event with the group on May 20.

Ultimate Frisbee returned with another request of $200 for transportation to the Men’s Regional Championship. According to frisbee member senior Sean Treacy, one of the vehicles they were planning on using for the trip is still broken down, leaving them without transportation.

Students Against Sexism in Society was approved to receive $156.50 to fund cleaning supplies for the Human Rights Center cleaning day. According to SASS co-president freshman Eden Sarkisian, the event was held on Saturday and was intended to spread awareness of social justice issues on campus.  

The Weigh the Waste campaign will begin this week according to senior and Sustainability Chair  Morgan Madderom. Anyone interested in participating in the week-long event can contact Madderom for more details.

Voting for next year’s Student Senate five chair positions will close Monday at 4 p.m. Students can vote here.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that voting for Senate chair positions closed Sunday night. We apologize for the error.

Sierra Henry, Co-News Editor

Tags:  additional funds request Knox College M.E.Ch.A. SASS Student Senate Ultimate Frisbee

WikiFire creator reflects on ten years
BREAKING: Student Senate chair election results announced