Sports / The Prairie Fire / May 3, 2017

Senior Alex Bell managed to register five hits during the Baseball team’s doubleheader against Illinois College.

Senior designated hitter Alex Bell exploded against conference foe Illinois College this week, helping power the team to two wins in conference play.

In the first game, a 6-2 win, Bell entered as a pinch-hitter and singled, driving in an insurance run.

In the second game of the doubleheader, a 10-0 win, Bell started and managed to collect four hits in five at-bats, including a double. In this game, Bell drove in another run and scored once.

The pitching staff dominated in the doubleheader against Illinois College, only allowing two runs to cross the plate.

Freshman pitcher Trevan Lowtharp pitched eight strong innings, only allowing two runs to cross the plate.

In the second game, sophomore Stryker Davies pitched a complete game shutout in a game shortened thanks to the mercy rule being invoked at 10-0.

Junior third baseman Matt McCaffrey collected four hits between the two games, scoring twice and driving in two more while also drawing two walks.

Senior Ryan Weitendorf collected three hits and drove in a run while scoring two of his own.

At 13-15, the Baseball team will look to finish the season at .500 for the first time since their 22-13 2013 season.

Jonathan Schrag, Managing Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a junior majoring in Political Science and double minoring in Educational Policy and History. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to News, Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  alex bell knox baseball matt mccaffrey POTW ryan weitendorf stryker davies trevan lowtharp

Faces of Knox: Steve Hall
Senior pitcher out for the season