Sports / The Prairie Fire / May 3, 2017

Senior pitcher out for the season

Senior starting pitcher Alec Jordan has suffered a hairline fracture in his forearm. This injury will keep Jordan out for the rest of the season, effectively ending his Knox pitching career.

Entering the season as the all-time Knox career strikeout king, Jordan added 51 more strikeouts to finish with 201. During his junior season, Jordan recorded 61 strikeouts, just one short of the Knox single season record.

If Jordan had not sustained this season-ending injury, it is likely that he would have again challenged the all-time single season mark.

While the injury is upsetting, Jordan is trying to keep a positive attitude.

“This injury is definitely a disappointing way for my senior season to end, but things happen and all I can do now is get healthy so I can continue to pursue baseball after college,” Jordan said.

Jordan has been playing summer ball for the last three years on a team that travels to different regions of the country to perform in front of major league scouts.

This injury makes getting drafted look less likely, but Jordan has a plan in place already.

“Now I will look to play Independent League Baseball where I have gotten some interest from coaches, or even overseas if it comes to it,” Jordan said.

Wherever he plays next year, Jordan will look to reassure big league scouts that he can be depended upon to provide a team with quality innings. Needless to say, Jordan’s historic career at Knoxshould help him land a position if he continues to put up strong outings.

Even with this injury, Jordan is not letting this put a damper on the end of his Knox career.

“I’m still really excited for the rest of the season and to see how we perform,” Jordan said.

The recovery for his injury will require several weeks of keeping his arm in a splint as well as rehab in order to make sure his arm gets back to full strength.

With his Knox career coming to a close, Jordan is thankful for the experiences he has had during his time on the Knox Baseball team.

“I’m very grateful that I was able to play with the teammates I have and play under the coaching staff over my four years,” Jordan said.

The team will close their conference season with a doubleheader against Monmouth College on May 6.

Jonathan Schrag, Managing Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a junior majoring in Political Science and double minoring in Educational Policy and History. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to News, Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  alec jordan Independent League Baseball knox baseball

Star runner's career coming to close