Sports / The Prairie Fire / May 10, 2017

Senior Ryan Weitendorf set the career Knox Baseball record for RBIs in his final game for the Prairie Fire.

The Knox Baseball team concluded their season this past Tuesday, closing with a strong 4-3 record for the week.

These wins bring the team’s record for the entire season to 17-17, the team’s best finish since 2013.

Closing the season also means the star-studded senior class has now finished their Knox careers.

Senior first baseman Ryan Weitendorf finished strong with three RBIs in his final game against Robert Morris University-Springfield, bringing his career total to a Knox record of 112.

Weitendorf was not the only senior to set Knox records in the final game, as senior Drake Sykes stole two bases to close his career with a record 48 stolen bases.

The entire team finished the season with 370 hits, 509 total bases and 79 stolen bases, all Knox records.

Even with the departure of many strong seniors, including Weitendorf, Sykes and Alec Jordan, the Knox Baseball team looks to be on an upward trajectory.

Young players such as Logan Thake, Trevan Lowtharp, Juston Woodard and Brendan Powers will join a strong junior class led by Matt McCaffrey to try to improve upon this year’s .500 finish.

With the end of their Knox careers looming, this strong last week belonged to the Knox seniors, who closed it out in historic style.

Jonathan Schrag, Managing Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a sophomore planning to double-major in political science and history. He has been writing since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to both Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  alec jordan brendan powers drake sykes juston woodard knox baseball logan thake matt mccaffrey mwc baseball player of the week POTW ryan weitendorf trevan lowtharp

TKS Asks: How was your Flunk Day?
Frisbee alum moves on to top league