Campus / Campus Safety / News / September 9, 2017

Attempted robbery occurred near Seymour Union

An attempted robbery happened near Seymour Union, according to an alert sent to the campus via the Knox College Campus Alert System.

Campus Safety received a call about the robbery at 12:54 a.m. on Sept. 9. According to the alert, which was sent at 1:55 a.m., the student was walking across campus toward the south side of Seymour Union when at least four black male subjects, who were unfamiliar to the student, approached. A subject described as being 5’10’’ and wearing a blue hoodie asked the student if he could use their phone. The student declined and headed into the building, and was then struck in the back of the head. After fleeing into Seymour Union, the student called Campus Safety. No weapons were observed being used.

According to the email, the Galesburg Police Department responded to the area after being contacted, with the assistance of Campus Safety. The student declined any medical treatment, although it was offered.

In the email, Campus Safety advised students to remain alert, travel in groups, walk in well-lit areas and limit exposure to persons not well known.

Campus Safety also asked that any student who has information or has had a similar experience to contact the Campus Safety Duty Officer at 309-341-7979 or  campus-safety@knox.edu. GPD can be reached at 309-343-9151.

An anonymous report form can be found at  http://www.knox.edu/anonymous-report-form.

This is a developing story. Check back to theknoxstudent.com for updates.

Erika Riley is a sophomore majoring in creative writing, and planning to minor in journalism. During freshman year, she worked as a layout editor for the news section. She was involved in journalism previously as managing editor of her high school's paper, but found a stronger passion for journalism after coming to Knox and joining TKS. Twitter: @ej_riley

Tags:  attempted robbery Campus Safety GPD knox alerts robbery Seymour

'I have a voice': Generations discuss racism in Galesburg
Theatre department begins auditions for Fall Term line-up