Sports / The Prairie Fire / September 27, 2017

Knox sports briefs

Football – The Knox football team improved to 3-0 with a 13-6 statement win over Ripon College. Now 3-0 for the first time since 2002, Knox battled its way to the team’s first win over Ripon in 30 years. Junior Malik Hamilton hauled in both touchdowns and Knox added a field goal block on their way to victory. Knox faces off against conference powerhouse St. Norbert College on Saturday, as they hope to continue their perfect season.

Women’s tennis – Knox improved to 4-7 and 3-3 in conference play with a strong 6-3 victory over Monmouth College on Friday. The match, which began Tuesday and had to be postponed because of darkness, came down to the dominant performances by Knox in singles action. Knox won five of the six singles matches, as well as a doubles match by senior Miranda Corbett and freshman Bhumika Gupta.

Cross country – At the annual Beloit Olde English Invitational last weekend, both Knox teams put on strong performances. The women’s squad managed to take third place while the men’s team took second. Senior Rebecca Katz finished first on the women’s side, with a time almost a full minute faster than her closest competitor. On the men’s side, freshman Arthur Santoro and sophomore Samuel Hernandez took fourth and fifth place, respectively.

Golf – The men’s golf team competed at the Loras Fall Invite on Monday, finishing in second place. Using a tournament-best second day score of 301, Knox climbed all the way up from fourth place to finish second. Freshman Jason White led the team, finishing in second place overall with a score of 145. The women’s golf team faced off at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Fall Classic this past weekend. Sophomore Samantha Nichols finished 11th with a score of 169.

Men’s soccer – The men’s soccer team defeated Lawrence University and Beloit College this week in their first taste of conference play. Senior Lucas Sanchez put up a hat-trick against Lawrence in Knox’s 7-1 victory. In the team’s 5-0 win over Beloit on Sunday, sophomore Jun Min scored two goals and tallied an assist. After improving to 7-2-2, the men’s soccer team will look to continue its strong season on Saturday in a rivalry game at Monmouth College.

Jonathan Schrag, Managing Editor
Jonathan Schrag is a junior majoring in Political Science and double minoring in Educational Policy and History. He has been writing for TKS since Fall Term of his freshman year and has contributed to News, Sports and Discourse.

Tags:  3-0 arthur santoro bhumika gupta cross country jason white jun min knox football knox golf knox tennis knox women's tennis lucas sanchez malik hamilton men's cross country men's golf men's soccer miranda corbett rebecca katz Samantha Nichols samuel hernandez undefeated women's cross country women's golf Women's Tennis

IT makes changes to cut costs