Campus / Featured / National / News / October 4, 2017

Beuschlein shares her path to FBI

Alumni and FBI Special Agent Amy Beuschlein ’89 tells students about her time at Knox and how she became an agent. (Dan Perez/TKS)

Since her time at Knox, alumna Amy Beuschlein ’89 has spent time in the military and as a psychotherapist. It is her work in the FBI that led the the Alumni Relations Office to invite alumna Amy Beuschlein ‘89 her back to speak about how she found her way to the FBI.

As a Knox student, Beuschlein was involved in ROTC, Union Board planning of Flunk Day and creating a women’s soccer club that would eventually turn into the Division III women’s team. She originally planned on majoring in biology and becoming a research scientist, but quickly changed her mind.

“Lots of things change once you get started in college,” Beuschlein said. “Once I took new classes and got exposed to new ideas and new people, my path went a different direction.”

She explained that a large amount of her time at Knox went to creating the women’s soccer club, which became a varsity sport her junior year in the fall of 1987.

“We just recruited a bunch of students who wanted to play, put posters up all over campus, and got some of the men’s soccer team to help coach us,” Beuschlein said. “The field is the same place it is now, but they tore down houses to make the field so our first season we’re running around the field and tripping over little chunks of brick. But it was a great time. I met a lot of great people and feel very lucky.”

Beuschlein graduated from Knox with a self-designed major in Race and Gender. Due to her involvement in ROTC, she joined the Army as a second lieutenant and served as a military police officer. After her service, Beuschlein earned her master’s degree in counseling and became a psychotherapist in Fort Collins, Co.

“It just wasn’t a good career path me,” Beuschlein said. “I was kind of floundering a little bit because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to look into law enforcement because of my time in the military. I had a supervisor and her brother was a FBI agent and he thought that would be a good fit for me.”

A year after Beuschlein applied, she began training at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va. for five months. Her first assignment was in Chicago where she worked in domestic terrorism and then counterintelligence. After successfully prosecuting two Iraqi spies, Beuschlein took up an opportunity to return to Fort Collins in counterintelligence.

“I get asked a lot of times about what is a typical day as an FBI agent,” Beuschlein said. “The best answer I can really give is there is no typical day. I could be out doing surveillance, following someone around, out trying to talk to witnesses, working with academia and people in the corporate world to help them protect their classified research.”

Beuschlein’s major piece of advice for students interested in the FBI suggested that they find something they enjoy and can excel in.

“There’s no set career path for the FBI,” Beuschlein said. “Major in something that will get you where you want in life besides the FBI, because there’s too many factors you can’t control. My philosophy is it’s not really about grades. It’s about how you’re developing yourself and what you’re learning about yourself.”

Fletcher Summa, Staff Writer

Tags:  alumni alumni talk bastian family career center career FBI law enforcement ROTC

Donnally combines gender and history
First to second year retention remains high and steady