Campus / News / Uncategorized / October 11, 2017

Student Senate Briefing: Senate addresses FBI protest, creates ad-hoc committee

During its meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5 Student Senate approved of creating an ad hoc committee to address students’ concerns about the Knect event where FBI Special Agent Amy Beuschlein ‘89 gave a virtual talk about her experiences at Knox.

Several student groups voiced their concerns about the FBI as an institution and their relation to racial profiling prior to the event.  In order to respond to student concerns, Student Senate will use the new committee to plan and coordinate a dialogue where students can talk about the issues revolving the FBI, the government and Knox.

Senate is also considering inviting the Career Center and the Office of Alumni Relations to discuss how alumni are chosen for the program.

In her report to Student Senate, Vice President for Student Development and Student Senate Advisor Anne Ehrlich reported that several issues with Health Services have been addressed. According to Ehrlich, the issues Health Services fixed include: students no longer have to wait for Health Services to obtain their medical records from Order of Saint Francis (OSF); students no longer have to obtain their medical records from OSF themselves ; and students can now schedule appointments with Health Services ahead of time.

Ehrlich also mentioned if there are any students who had concerns about the new staff provided by Cottage Hospital, they should email her or set up an appointment with her to discuss the issues they are having.

Student Senate also presented their first installment of a weekly collaboration series they will host with faculty on campus to learn about what they do and how Senate can help them engage with the student body more efficiently. The first speaker for the series was Coordinator for Student Engagement Andrew Salemi, who mentioned a few areas Senate can begin focusing on.

According to Salemi, Senate can possibly look into working on smoothing out leadership transitions in the spring — one of the biggest issues Campus Life noticed clubs were having. He mentioned that, during the budgeting process, some clubs might not focus enough on sharing information between the old executive boards and the new executive boards. This can be an area Student Senate helps with in the future.

Vice President for Finance and Administration Services Keith Archer will be speaking at the next Student Senate meeting.

Sierra Henry, Co-News Editor

Tags:  alumni FBI health services senate briefs Student Senate

Freshmen connect through living learning communities
'I know they’re struggling'