Sports / The Prairie Fire / January 31, 2018

Freshman hurdler Karah Polk has been extremely successful competing in indoor track and field. At their first meet this winter, she finished in second place in the women’s 60m hurdles with a time of 9:55.

She then placed first in the 60m hurdles with a time of 9:39 against Monmouth. At the same meet, she placed fourth in the long jump with a distance of 4.87m. This helped the Fire toward their 12 top 5 finishes in this meet, a great outcome against rival Monmouth.

The Fire most recently competed at Illinois Wesleyan University and the women placed 10th out of 13 teams. Polk earned third place in the women’s 60m hurdles with a time of 9:42. She also earned a fifth place finish in the 60m dash with a time of 8:24.

Polk has contributed many top finishes for the Fire and this may be attributed to the high-competition and rigorous training she received in high school. She competed through her high school, Rich Central located in Olympia Fields, Ill., at the state meet for class 2A. She was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune in a scouting report for her performance on the hurdles.

With many top finishes throughout high school and now at the college level, Polk will look to lead the team at Knox to new heights. The Fire compete next on Feb. 3 at Illinois College.

Tags:  athletics Emily Mosher hurdles karah polk knox athletics Knox College player of the week tks track

Thoughts from the Embers: Rearticulating TKS policies on submissions
Lack of lighting for Knox athletics