Campus / News / January 31, 2018

Student Senate Briefing: Senate sets attendance policy, defines probation

Information provided by Senator Carolyn Ginder. (Graphic by Michelle Dudley)

Student Senate welcomed four new senators at last Thursday’s Senate meeting: senior Mark Voreis, juniors Shresha Karmacharya and Farzana Ahmed and freshman Hassan Suhaib.

Senate received a total of 274 responses for the recent elections. Out of the 274 responses, 46 students from the senior class voted, 75 students from the junior class, 50 students from the sophomore class and 103 from the freshman class.

Senate also announced their new attendance policy for senators. According to the new policy, senators and chairpersons are now only allowed three absences per term. Once a senator has reached four absences, they will be immediately put on probation.

During the probationary period, the senator must meet at least twice with the President, Vice President and Secretary to discuss their leadership position on campus. Any senator on probation will not be allowed to miss any meetings unless there is an emergency. Probationary periods expire at the end of the term unless imposed within two weeks of the last Senate meeting.

Resources to Resources, Cricket Club and Smash House were present for additional funds requests. All funds requests were approved for a total of $400.

Resources to Resources requested $200 to bring in a Haitian band based in Chicago for their annual Kreyol Roots event. The money from the additional funds request will go toward paying the band.

According to junior Nick Ryan, the Kreyol Roots event is one of the organization’s largest fundraisers and will be held on Feb. 17 at Fat Fish Pub at 8 p.m.

According to Cricket Club representative and sophomore Momin Farooq, the club will be using the $150 of additional funds to purchase new equipment for the team. Farooq said that the equipment they currently use is made differently because it came from outside of the country. The club will use their funds to purchase 12 new balls and two stumps.

Smash House also requested $50 to purchase pizza for their event on Feb. 9. According to senior Logan Ayers, Smash House will be focusing on teaching how to play various fighting games during the event.

Health and Wellness Chair senior Joel Vargeese announced his committee’s plans to hold a tabling session during midterms. Vargeese plans to have hot chocolate and candy available for students. The committee also plans to survey students to ask them how they cope with stress during the midterm season. Responses to the survey question might be placed on display. A date for the tabling session has not been set at this time.

The Secretary’s Outreach Committee announced their plans to set up a new website for Student Senate that would be available through the MyKnox portal.

The next Student Senate meeting will be held Thursday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. in the Wilson House.

Sierra Henry, Co-News Editor

Tags:  attendance Cricket Club funding new senators probation senate elections Smash House Student Senate

Campus Safety Log: Damage to property, alcohol violation
Conservative speaker brings nonpartisan message