Student Senate Briefing: Farrer presents on food insecurity, approve funding for new publication

Student Senate received a presentation on the results of the Student Life Committee’s survey on food insecurity from Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies Ben Farrer.

Farrer presented the survey and answered questions. He emphasized that the problem was systemic and that open comments from the survey showed that the problem is not just mild or occasional but goes beyond other issues students may have about the quality of the food and Bon Appet’ít. Senate discussed how they could address the issue and how to cooperate with the SLC in doing so.

Director of Campus Sustainability Debbie Steinberg also presented her budget proposal for next year.

Steinberg planned for increased hours for both the Knox Farm and the Bike Shop. She wants her office needs be part of her budget and the money for student projects like the Bike Shop and Knox Farm to come from the Senate Sustainability Fund. Senate will vote on approving the plan at a later meeting.

Senate approved $3,265 in funding for five clubs: $340 for Blessings in a Backpack for their Blessings, Blues and Brews fundraiser; $80 for Smash House for food for an upcoming house event; $60 for Smash Club for their Blaze the Fox tournament; $985 for M.E.Ch.A. for a trip to their national conference over Spring Break and $1,800 to X, a new name for the publication formerly operating as Folio.

Senate then approved two new clubs: Computer Science Club and Tea Club.

Committee reports included the approval of sophomore Carolyn Ginder as health and wellness chair by secret ballot. Dining Services committee said they were continuing to collect interviews with both student and staff workers. They continue to encourage students and staff to reach out to Dining Services chair junior Leonard Monterey if they want to provide comments. Sustainability Committee said they had made little progress in the Earth Day 5K, but President and senior Sofia Tagkaloglou urged them to continue the project as it had been done several times before and therefore there are a clear set of steps they can follow.

The next Student Senate meeting will be Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. in the Wilson House.

Connor Wood is a sophomore majoring in English Literature. He started at The Knox Student in the fall of his freshman year as a volunteer writer for News.

Tags:  attendance Computer Science Club Earth Day 5K folio funding M.E.Ch.A. Smash Club Student Senate tea club X

Board briefing hits budget, renovations
Campus Safety Log: Suspicious incident and alcohol violation