Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 28, 2018

Sports Briefs

Women’s basketball – The Prairie Fire competed against Cornell College on Friday, Feb. 23 for the first round of the Midwest Conference Championships at Ripon College. The women managed a close game with strong defense and great pressure on their opponent. Knox fell by a mere one point, 43-42. Sophomore Jarrelyn McCall led the Fire with 13 points and 13 rebounds. Sophomore Kyra Huffman scored eight points. This is the women’s basketball team’s best season since 1997-98. Their season has come to an end and they will begin working out in the offseason.

Track and field – The track and field teams competed at Ripon College in the Midwest Conference Championships on Friday, Feb. 23 and Saturday, Feb. 24. Overall, the men finished in sixth place out of 10 teams and the women finished eighth place out of 10 teams. Freshman Arthur Santoro set a new record for Knox in the men’s 800m with a second place finish and a time of 1:58.24. Junior Malik Hamilton earned top honors in the men’s 60m dash with a time of 7.01 seconds and yet another Knox record. The track and field teams will now prepare for their outdoor season.

Men’s tennis – The Prairie Fire competed against St. Ambrose University and Greenville College on Saturday, Feb. 24. Knox fell 1-8 in both of their matchups. Sophomore Jared Schwarz won his singles matches against St. Ambrose, with scores of 4-6, 6-2 and 1-0. Freshman Brad Newland earned a victory over his Greenville opponent in a singles match with scores of 6-2 and 7-6. The Fire will continue their season on March 28, where they will open conference play at Monmouth College.

Softball – The 2018 Midwest Conference preseason coaches’ poll was released on Friday, Feb. 23. The preseason favorite is St. Norbert College with 78 points. The schools are ranked by coaches, not including their own, and points are on a 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale. Lake Forest is second, followed by Illinois College in third, Cornell College in fourth, Monmouth College in fifth, Grinnell College in sixth, Ripon College in seventh, Lawrence University in eighth, Beloit College in ninth and Knox College in 10th with nine points awarded. The women begin their season and have their first game in Rochester, Minn. on March 3.

Tags:  athletics Knox College prairie fire Softball sports briefs summary tennis track and field women's basketball

Alum entering fourth year of MLB job
Club preps students for C.S. jobs