The Prairie Fire / April 4, 2018

Sports Briefs

Baseball – The Fire were victorious over Iowa Wesleyan in a double header on April 2, winning 4-1 and 5-4. Junior Andrew Recker and senior Paul Sanders both scored two runs for the men in the first game. This boosted morale after three losses to Monmouth, 1-4, 9-14 and 4-10. Baseball is 7-10 overall with 22 regular season games remaining. The men will compete again at home against Cornell College in a double header on April 7 at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Softball – The Fire lost both games to Robert Morris University­-Springfield in a double header on March 31 with a final score of 13-14 and 12-20. Sophomore Katy Coseglia led the Fire with three runs, followed by two runs each from senior Val Froeming, senior Emily Stevenson, freshman Clare Hensley and senior Kristen Koviekis. The women are 4-12 overall this season thus far. The women return to the field on April 6 against Eureka College at home.

Track & field – The men’s and women’s track teams competed at Lindenwood University on March 31. Freshman Arthur Santoro earned a fifth place finish in the men’s 800m with a time of 1:58.16. A relay team made up of freshman Rebekah Alexandre, freshman Karah Polk, junior Val Varanese and sophomore Michaela Kowalewski placed fifth in the 4x400m relay with a time of 4:21.45. The teams will travel to Western Illinois University on April 6 and 7 to continue competition.

Men’s tennis – The men competed against Dominican University on March 31 at home. The Fire lost 1-8, with close pairings but the inability to clutch a win. Sophomore Jared Schwarz and senior Nesh Uppalapu won 8-5 in #1 doubles. Junior Jeff Xue and freshman Brad Newland fell narrowly 7-9 in another doubles set. The men look to win some upcoming matches, remaining 0-7. The men travel to Lake Forest College on April 7 to continue competition.

Golf – The men hosted the Jim Wetherbee Memorial Invite on Friday and Saturday, March 30 and 31. The Fire finished 11th, shooting a total of 649 overall. While the wind made competition difficult the first day, the second day was much better for scoring. Freshman Luis Liendo scored 80 on the second day and finished with a tie for 9th place overall with a total of 155. Junior Duncan Wheeler shot an 82 on the second day, to finish with a score of 159. The men will travel to Augustana on April 13.

Tags:  andrew recker arthur santoro baseball brad newland clare hensley duncan wheeler Emily Mosher emily stevenson golf jared schwarz jeff xue karah polk katy coseglia kristen koviekis luis liendo michaela kowalewski nesh uppalapu paul sanders rebekah alexandre Softball sports briefs tennis The Knox Student tks track and field val froeming val varanese

Celestine: the local CAWnvict
Softball and baseball compete in Florida