Sports / The Prairie Fire / April 18, 2018

Sports Briefs

Baseball — The Fire split a double header with University of Dubuque at home on April 17. The men won 6-5 in the first game and lost 5-2 in the second. In the first game, senior Paul Sanders was 3 for 4, sophomore Juston Woodard was 2 for 3 and sophomore Brendan Powers picked up two RBI. The Fire will compete again in the Midwest Conference Crossover tournament held in Mauston, WI.

Men’s tennis — The Fire faced off against two conference opponents this past Sunday. Knox lost to both Lawrence University 0-9 and St. Norbert College 0-9. Senior Hank Horowitz had a close singles match against Norbert, losing 6-2 and 6-4. Junior Jeffrey Xue had the same scores as Horowitz against Norbert but weren’t victorious. The Fire will travel to Monmouth on April 19 to continue competition.

Track & field — The track and field teams competed at Benedictine University on Friday and Saturday, April 13 and 14. They faced off against 64 other teams from Division II and III and NAIA and NJCAA divisions. Junior Malik Hamilton placed eighth in the men’s 200m final with a time of 22.53 seconds. They will travel to University of Dubuque on April 21.

Softball — The Fire competed against Cornell College on April 12, losing 8-12 and 0-8 in the conference double header. Freshman Kenzie Funk, senior Emily Stevenson and freshman Clare Hensley all grabbed a pair of hits for the day. Funk and freshman Casey Hipp both added an RBI. The women will compete against Beloit College on April 21 at home.

Men’s golf — The Fire competed at the Augustana Invitational on Friday, April 13. Knox shot a 329 in the first round; the second round on Saturday was canceled. The men placed 16th out of 19 teams, with junior Duncan Wheeler and freshman Josh Schumacher scored a 79, the top scores for Knox. Freshman Luis Liendo had the second best score, with an 81. The Fire will travel to Illinois College on April 20.

Tags:  baseball brendan powers casey hipp clare hensley duncan wheeler emily stevenson golf hank horowitz jeffrey xue josh schumacher juston woodard kenzie funk malik hamilton paul sanders Softball sports briefs tennis The Knox Student tks track and field

Photo club revived on campus