Campus / News / April 19, 2018

Student Senate briefing: Reaches quorum, approves club funding

After failing to reach quorum and be able to approve funds requests at their prior meeting, Senate approved two of the rolled over funds requests and discussed tweets by Visiting Assistant Professor of Africana Studies Kwame Zulu Shabazz which some students said were anti-Semitic.

Alpha Phi Omega and German Club received approval for their funds requests for $302.70 and $225 respectively. APO wanted help paying for insurance for their Run-A-Thon fundraiser, which they need two days of insurance for because it involves parts of two calendar days. German Club wanted help paying for gas and admissions for their trip to DANK Haus, a German cultural center in Chicago.

Alliance for Peace Action did not come back to follow up on their request for $2,600 to bring a speaker to campus.

Senate also held a discussion on the tweets by Shabazz which was tabled after being brought up last week. During the discussion, Vice President for Student Development and Student Senate Advisor Anne Ehrlich said that the college had received a bias report due to the tweets and that the bias response team was investigating the situation.

Full coverage of the campus-wide discussion on the tweets by Shabazz can be found in previous coverage by TKS. The senate discussion was tabled until the next week.

During new business, Senate heard from Interim General Manager of Dining Services Mark Daniels. He said that he believes that Dining Services is making rapid progress in improving the relationship between students and Bon Appet’t. He cited changes like moving the bread and really focusing on avoiding cross contamination as fixes they had instituted.

Senator and junior Eden Sarkisian asked Daniels about the prices in the C-store. Daniels responded that he had been alerted by a student to the high prices of feminine care products and that the prices were subsequently cut. He is planning a full review of prices in the C-store.

In the committee reports, Campus Life Committee updated Senate on their plans for more picnic tables and benches on campus. Locations include north of CFA and south of the tennis courts.

In his VP report, junior Sam Cohen tried to introduce Senate to new parliamentary procedures he thought they should implement next year. Senate suspended Robert’s Rules at the start of the year and have been operating under President and senior Sofia Tagkaloglou’s discretion. Senators requested time to review the procedures on their own before being taken through it by Cohen at the next meeting.

The next Student Senate meeting will be April 19 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Note: Eden Sarkisian is Discourse Editor for TKS.

Connor Wood is a sophomore majoring in English Literature. He started at The Knox Student in the fall of his freshman year as a volunteer writer for News.

Tags:  additional funds requests alliance for peaceful action APA apo dining services german club Hillel Club Student Senate twitter

Deli replaces Q’s cafe
Campus Safety Log: Theft, animal complaint