Uncategorized / April 25, 2018

Student Senate Briefing: Letter to TKS approved

Student Senate voted to write a letter to the editor in support of Hillel Club after a graphic piece of anti-Semitic hate mail was sent to a female Jewish professor last week. The hate mail was only the latest incident after several tweets posted by Visiting Assistant Professor of Africana Studies Kwame Zulu Shabazz were brought into question by Jewish students on campus.

According to Student Senate Advisor and Vice President for Student Development Anne Ehrlich, two separate biased incident reports have been filed in the wake of these events.

Co-President of Hillel Club Chava Solberg also announced that Hillel Club will be hosting a forum on Monday April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Lincoln Room and will be open to all students and feature a professor who has a background in the history of anti-Semitism. The event will be held as a way to educate students on what anti-Semitism is and what it looks like. Hillel Club also partnered with Mocha with a Muslim this week to promote interfaith dialogue and awareness.

Senate also approved of $481 in additional funds requests. Smash Club received $103; Smash House received $50; Business Club received $240 and Cricket Club received $88. According to Smash Club, the money will be used to purchase new SD cards as well as a capture card for students to record footage of their fights.

Smash House will be using their additional funds request to purchase pizza for a training event. Business Club’s additional funds will be used for 14 students to attend a business conference. Cricket Club used their additional funds to attend a cricket game.

Senate approved Multicultural Sports Club as a new club on campus.

Senators Eden Sarkisian, Yeomin Kim and Zarah Khan discussed three projects the Diversity Committee has been working on this term. According to Sarkisian, Diversity is planning on holding a dialogue to discuss the findings from a survey about racial diversity in Greek life.

Kim updated Senate on a project regarding students of color experiences with the counseling center and disabilities office. Khan is also working on investigating why the college has a hard time hiring diverse faculty members.

The next Student Senate meeting will be held Thursday, April 26 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Eden Sarkisian is the Discourse Editor for TKS. Zarah Khan is a Mosaic Editor for TKS.

Sierra Henry, Co-News Editor on Email
Sierra Henry, Co-News Editor
Sierra Henry is a senior Political Science major who is minoring in journalism. During her time at Knox she has had her work published in the Robinson Daily News, the Galesburg-Register Mail and Cellar Door. In the summer of 2017 she studied abroad in Bologna, Italy where she worked as a student foreign correspondent.

New brewery joins Galesburg
Thoughts from the Embers: Green Oaks, Earth Day and a sustainable Knox