Student Senate Briefing: Senate discusses cable, members leaving early

In their meeting last week, Student Senate heard from Vice President and Chief Information Officer Steve Hall about the campus’ cable access.

Hall explained that the college currently spends around $100,000 a year on cable TV for campus. Only 16 percent of students use the cable access, mostly in groups.

He also proposed the possibility of dropping certain channels that would amount to savings of around $7,200. The contract with the company does not let the college drop service until it expires the summer of 2019. According to Hall, the $7,200 is the only possibility of cutting costs by cutting channels due to the requirements of the contract.

Student Senate tabled the discussion until their May 3 meeting.

Senate approved $772 in club funds requests: $335 to Classics Club; $66 to the Good Athletes Project; $146 to Engineering Club and $225 to Quiz Bowl. Classics Club needed money for their yearly Mediterranean Party; Engineering Club for the SMC-Down Showcase; and Quiz Bowl for a tournament. They also approved lowering the limit of money that must remain in the Restrict Funds to $20,000.

Senate lost quorum while Diversity Committee was presenting their charge to write a letter to TKS over incidents of bias and accusations of hate speech. Senators then discussed the importance of attendance.

At the end of the meeting, the ad hoc committee formed to investigate issues with Senate elections. They said they were keeping information limited but would present their findings and a recommendation for action.

The next Student Senate meeting will be Thursday, May 10 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Connor Wood is a sophomore majoring in English Literature. He started at The Knox Student in the fall of his freshman year as a volunteer writer for News.

Tags:  Classics Club Knox Engineering quorum senate SMC-Down Showcase Student Senate

Hillel takes stand against hate
Charity event fights childhood food insecurity