Student Senate Briefing: Final meeting approves Smash Club Funds, addresses Alumni Hall hours

Student Senate approved the Student Activity Budget for the 2018-2019 academic year at their last meeting of the year on Thursday. With a projected student base of 1,330, the student activity fee will be raised by $3.

During the public comment section, freshman Emily Wallace expressed the need for greater accessibility on campus. She said that the college is missing out on a significant demographic of individuals who are not being shown that the campus is a safe space for disabled students. She called for greater awareness and more resources for students with disabilities.

Smash Club was present for an additional funds request of $50 to pay for food to give to participants in a Super Smash Brothers tournament viewing as their second event of the term. The funds will provide lunch to attendees of the viewing. The money was approved.

The Campus Life Committee has reached out to Director of Campus Safety Mark Welker about Alumni Hall being open 24/7, and a meeting will be set up to discuss why it’s closing at midnight instead of being kept open as it is now supposed to be.

Dining Services Committee has posters up hoping to get food donations to the Food Pantry. Vice President for Student Development Anne Ehrlich suggested placing boxes for food in buildings frequented by faculty, as most of them don’t go to Seymour or Post Halls.

The Campus Life Committee also made a request of $6,396.40 in funds for the installation of four picnic tables and a metal bench in various spots on campus. The tables will be put near CFA, Trevor Field, Seymour Library and SMC while the bench will be placed near Sherwin-Neifert Halls. Funding was approved.

Senator and sophomore Natasha Caudill noted that the Hate Has No Home Here campaign is being worked on, but is being pushed to next year due to the upcoming end of the academic year.

This was the final meeting of Student Senate for the year.

Sam Jacobson, Co-Mosaic Editor
Sam Jacobson is a junior majoring in philosophy and potentially minoring in creative writing or psychology. She started volunteer writing during spring term of her freshman year, and worked as a staff writer during her sophomore year.

Tags:  accessability additional funds briefing campus life club funding senate

Breaking News: Former Associate Dean of Students accused of sexual harassment
McNair scholars prepare for busy summer