Uncategorized / September 30, 2018

Sports Briefs

Women’s soccer – The women fought for an overtime win on Sunday, Sept. 23 against University of Wisconsin-Platteville. The women had 15 shots on goal overall, where UW only had five. With the score still tied after the first overtime, Knox pushed through and scored in the 107th minute. Sophomore Brooklyn Deming was assisted by senior Melissa London to make the winning goal. The women will return to the field versus Ripon College on September 29 at home for family and friends weekend at 1:30 p.m.

Men’s soccer – The men competed against Illinois College this past Saturday, Sept. 22. Senior Rodrigo Carvalho scored a goal after the half, putting Knox up 1-0. Carvalho then assisted junior Jun Min in a headed goal. Sophomore Pedro Moura also had four shots on goal and one assist for the Fire. Senior Gavin Douglas narrowly missed a goal in the 30th minute. Sophomore Raphael Adeyemi scored the Fire’s final goal on a penalty kick. The men won 3-0. They will host Ripon College next weekend, Sept. 29 at 11 a.m.

Cross country – The cross country teams competed at the Beloit Olde English Invitational on Sept. 23. The women placed sixth out of seven teams and the men earned fourth out of five teams. Freshman Iris Berto finished sixth overall for the women with a time of 25:33. Senior Meaghan Dorsey placed 12th overall with a time of 26.42 minutes. Senior Emily Miller was also in the top five, with a time of 27.07 minutes. Sophomore Isaac Hughes placed 14th overall with a time of 29:42. The teams will return to action on Oct.5 at Loras College.

Football – The men traveled to Ripon College on Saturday, Sept. 22. The Fire couldn’t clutch the game, losing 28-3. Sophomore Jacob Amaro completed 29 of 59 passes for 242 yards and rushed for 21 yards. In the third quarter, senior Jesus Flores hit a 40-yard field goal, scoring the three points the Fire had. Senior Malik Hamilton had three interceptions for 59 yards. Junior Garret Rau had nine tackles, one pass completion and 21 yards rushing. Football will play at home versus St. Norbert College on Sept. 29 for family and friends weekend.

Volleyball hosts second annual tournament
Editors' Round Table: Should class attendance affect grades?