News / October 3, 2018

Campus Safety responds to assailant

During the early morning hours of Saturday, Sept. 29, Campus Safety responded to calls made from an off-campus party regarding a non-student individual who was physically and verbally attacking students.

Campus Safety responded and spoke with the individual. According to Mark Welker, Director of Campus Safety, the man was inebriated.

They spoke to him and called the Galesburg Police Department. They then turned their attention to another individual to see if they could get information. Welker says that when they turned back to the man, he was running off the property towards Main Street.

Campus Safety did look at his Illinois identification card, which they said was weathered and hard to read. They are currently working on getting a name and address of the perpetrator.

Nobody at the scene wanted to pursue legal charges at the time, according to Welker.

On Monday, Oct. 1 at 12:08 a.m., Campus Safety responded to a student who saw the perpetrator in the Gizmo. Campus Safety removed the man from campus and asked him not to come back.

Campus Safety did not send an email out to the campus because they determined there was no imminent threat. Welker says they decide whether or not to send an email on a case-by-case basis.

“So we’ve had several people approach us and other administrators on campus regarding that incident and we really appreciate that,” Welker said.

Campus Safety is currently working on confirming the information of the man. They said once they have his name and address they can formally ban him from campus.

Welker and Campus Safety Officer Nathan Kemp described the man as thin and tall, with dark hair. He appears to be in his 20s.

Anybody with information can contact Campus Safety at 309-341-7979, or the Galesburg Police Department at 309-343-9151.

Zarah Khan contributed reporting to this story.

Tags:  Campus Safety crime

Reported rapes rise in 2017
Knox students show friends and family home away from home