News / October 3, 2018

October faculty meeting briefing

During the October faculty meeting, Director of the Library Jeff Douglas announced that the closing of the SMC library in preparation for the demolition of the A-Core will take place next Friday, Oct. 12 and will reopen in January 2020.

During the President’s Report, professor of Environmental Science Peter Schwartzman posed a question regarding the debt the college starts with at the start of each year. President Teresa Amott answered that several factors lead to the accumulation of debt including not attracting enough students, and having to find alternative methods of admitting lower income students.

She said that, with the removal of several state loans, the college is needing to use more of its own budget to pay for the tuition of underprivileged students. Amott assured that she would not attempt to recruit higher income students based on their ability to pay a greater part of their tuition.

Vice President for Student Development Anne Ehrlich reminded faculty of their red folders, which contain guidance for faculty members who wish to give assistance to students with whom they are concerned. It contains several levels of concern, ranging from mild to severe and urgent. Ehrlich also presented brochures containing information on counseling services and urged faculty members to familiarize themselves with the information inside.

Sam Jacobson, Co-Mosaic Editor
Sam Jacobson is a junior majoring in philosophy and potentially minoring in creative writing or psychology. She started volunteer writing during spring term of her freshman year, and worked as a staff writer during her sophomore year.

Tags:  faculty

Meet the freshmen senators
Taking control through gender-confirming piercings