Sports / The Prairie Fire / October 24, 2018

Sports Briefs

Women’s soccer — The Prairie Fire competed against Monmouth College on Oct. 23 at home. With a 2-1 victory over the Scots, the women secured their first place title in the Midwest Conference for the third year in a row. Sophomore Alyx Farris and freshman Lydia Mitchell both scored goals for the women, putting them in a position to take the win. The Fire will host the Midwest Conference Tournament Nov. 2 and 3. The women’s overall record in the last three seasons is now 44-11-5, a very impressive record. The women will take on Cornell College at home on Oct. 27 at 1:30 p.m. for senior day.

Men’s soccer — The men competed against Elmhurst College on Oct. 22, falling 1-0 in the non-conference matchup. The Fire managed 13 shots on goal but the Elmhurst goalie also managed 13 saves to match the Fire’s shots. The defense kept the Bluejays from making a single shot on goal in the second period. Fortunately, the men have already secured their place in the Midwest Conference Tournament, making their sixth consecutive appearance. The host for the men is yet to be determined. The Fire will compete against Cornell College on Oct. 27 for senior day at home at 11 a.m.

Volleyball — The women competed against Lincoln College on Oct. 23, falling in three sets to the Lynx, with scores of 23-25, 16-25, 18-25. Notable performances for the game included 20 digs from sophomore Mady Ferris, two blocks from freshman Katie Anderson and nine kills from freshman Autumn Schneider. Junior Marissa Akers and sophomore Maika Padilla both added an ace to the board, and Akers contributed seven kills as well. The women will compete in their final game of the season against Monmouth College at Monmouth on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.

Football — The men competed against Illinois College on Oct. 20 for their homecoming match, emerging victorious 20-6. This is the first victory for Knox against the Blueboys since 2005. Sophomore quarterback Jacob Amaro completed 20 of 29 passes for 184 yards total and two touchdowns. Sophomore Ty Straw totaled 57 rushing yards and scored a touchdown. Sophomore Hunter Lee ran for 69 yards and scored another touchdown for the Fire. Senior Logan Hollis had 14 tackles for the Fire. The men will take on Cornell College in an away game on Oct. 27 at 1 p.m.

Tags:  autumn schneider calyx farris football hunter lee jacob amaro katie anderson knox briefs logan hollis lydia mitchell mady ferris maika padilla marissa akers soccer sports tks ty straw volleyball

TKS Asks Homecoming Edition: What is your greatest memory from your time at Knox?