Sports / The Prairie Fire / November 14, 2018

All-Conference Soccer teams announced

Senior Rocky Plaza attempts to steal a ball in the men’s game against Beloit on Oct. 13. The men won 2-0. Plaza was awarded with first team honors for his great performance as a defender for the Fire. He has scored one goal this season and has two assists but was a key component and leader on the defensive line. (Katy Coseglia/TKS)

Senior Yvette Rodriguez dribbles a ball down the field in the women’s game against Beloit on Oct. 13. The women won 2-1. Rodriguez had two goals and five assists on the season, with a shot on goal percentage of .591. (Katy Coseglia/TKS)

Men’s soccer had four players selected to the All-Conference team after this season. These are selections of players throughout the conference based on performance throughout the season. The Defensive Player of the Year was sophomore Alessandro Benelli, following his 2017 Newcomer of the Year award. Benelli led a defense that had a .63 goals-against average and only allowed 12 goals. Benelli also added a total of five goals to the season, three of which won games. Another anchor for the defense, senior goalkeeper Justin Dunn was also named to the first team. Dunn had 10 shutouts on the season and set the conference record for all-time shutouts, sitting at 34. He finished with a .55 goals-against average. Senior Rocky Plaza was also named to the first team for the third straight season, along with junior Nick Janulis. Janulis led the team with eight goals, tying for sixth most goals in the conference.

The women earned five all-conference team selections, not including their coach, Chris Haught-Thompson, who was awarded with coach of the year for the conference.. Senior goalkeeper Sierra Daniger earned Defensive Player of the Year on the first team, with a .820 save percentage. Freshman Lydia Mitchell earned the Newcomer of the Year award with her eighth place finish in the league. Mitchell had 17 points and eight goals with five assists. Junior Jenna Milligan and senior Yvette Rodriguez were both named to first team honors as well. Milligan was named Defensive Player of the Year in 2017, being the first player to earn a major individual MWC award for women’s soccer. Rodriguez contributed two goals and five assists, being named to the team for the fourth straight season, winning honors in every one of her seasons. Freshman Brooklyn Deming and junior Annie Peterson achieved second team honors. Deming finished with seven goals and four assists on the season, while Peterson was a defensive leader for the team.

Sophomore Alessandro Benelli kicks a ball in one of the Fire’s games. Benelli was awarded Defender of the Year and named to the first team, following his Newcomer of the Year from last year’s season conference honors. Benelli scored five goals this season and had four assists. (Katy Coseglia/TKS)

Tags:  alessandro benelli all-conference team annie peterson brooklyn deming chris haught-thompson Emily Mosher jenna milligan Justin Dunn lydia mitchell nick janulis rocky plaza sierra daniger sports tks Yvette Rodriguez

Soccer teams compete at the NCAA Tournament
Sports Briefs