Sports / The Prairie Fire / November 14, 2018

Sports Briefs

Men’s basketball — The Fire competed against Maranatha Baptist University on Nov. 13 and found their first season victory. After a tense altercation between the teams, four of the Fire’s players and two from the opposing team were ejected, but the men still managed a win of 71-68. Sophomores Ikenna Ozor and Blake Godbold managed 14 rebounds each, with Ozor adding 12 points as well. Freshman Jordan Rayner also scored 12 points for the Fire. Freshman Malcolm Bray was close behind with eight points on the board, prior to his ejection. The Fire will play again on Thursday, Nov. 15 in an away game against Eureka College at 7:30 p.m.

Women’s basketball — The women competed against North Central College on Nov. 10. The women lost their season opener 62-54. Junior Jarrelyn McCall scored 17 points for the Fire and grabbed seven rebounds while senior Morgan Potter had 11 points of her own. Junior Kyra Huffman scored six points for the Fire. After the immense success of their last season, with an overall record of 16-9 and an appearance in the first round of the Midwest Conference Tournament, the women are ready to start their regular season play and hope to see the same success. The women will have their home opener on Nov. 21 against Rockford University at 5 p.m.

Cross country — On Nov. 10, the cross country teams competed at the NCAA Midwest Regional. The women’s team placed 33rd out of 36 teams and the men finished 35th out of 35 teams. Freshman Iris Berto placed 78th with a time of 23:54.3. Senior Meaghan Dorsey was close behind with a time of 25:40, along with sophomore Danica Dosmann with a time of 27:16, senior Emily Miller with a time of 27:37 and junior Natalie Laird with a time of 33:21. Sophomore Isaac Hughes led the men’s team with a time of 28:28. Sophomore Alex Baker had a time of 29:56.1 and senior Jonathan Rico had a time of 29:59.2. This will conclude their season until next year.

Football — Despite the football season being over, the Midwest All-Conference Team picks were just announced. Seven members of the Fire were honored. Senior offensive lineman Dom Parello, junior tight-end Kobe Shutter, and junior punter Garrett Rau were all named to the first team. Shutter had 28 catches good for 208 yards and four touchdowns. Sophomore offensive lineman Corey McKnight, sophomore wide receiver Hunter Lee, senior defensive lineman Jordan Anderson and senior defensive back Evan Economos were all named to the second team, along with Rau who made defensive honors for the team as well. Lee had 571 receiving yards all season, good for an eighth place finish overall in the conference.

Tags:  basketball blake godbold briefs corey mcknight cross country danica dosmann dom parello emily miller Emily Mosher evan economos football garret rau hunter lee ikenna ozor iris berto isaac hughes jarrelyn mccall jodan rayner jonathan rico jordan anderson Kobe Shutter kyra huffman malcolm bray meaghan dorsey morgan potter natalie laird

All-Conference Soccer teams announced