Campus / News / January 16, 2019

Student Senate Briefing: Senate approves funds and prepares for election

Student Senate approved two fund requests and discussed their elections at their first meeting of the term.

Senators were asked to remind their friends to vote or run in the elections, which were open until Tuesday, Jan. 15.

Smash House and Model U.N. both requested funds. Smash House was given $50 to buy pizza for an event around the newly released Smash Ultimate game on Jan. 18. Model U.N. followed up on a request they made last term to fund a trip to a conference later this month. They had been asked to crowdfund but did not receive any donations to their GoFundMe. They were given $1,839.04.

Senator and junior Flora Florova said she had worked with Counseling Services to buy $160 worth of books on counseling and mental health to start a library in counseling services for students to use.

In her report, advisor and Vice President for Student Development Anne Ehrlich announced the creation of peer educator positions for students in Counseling Services and Disability Services. She also asked senators to remind others that students can receive a free STI test once a year through Health Services.

Connor Wood is a senior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor his sophomore and junior years. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center and as an intern with Unified News Group, both in the Madison, WI suburbs.

Tags:  briefing election funding Student Senate

Seniors prep for future with research
Faculty Meeting Briefing: Faculty approve archaeology minor