Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 6, 2019

Sports Briefs

Men’s basketball – The Fire faced off against rival Monmouth College on Feb. 5, falling 57-69 in a close game. FreshmanJordan Raynerhad 19 points with eight field goals made and one three point shot. JuniorJustin Windt added 10 points of his own while freshman Wes Jolly had eight points. As the men approach the end of the season, they will play Beloit College on Feb. 9 at 3 p.m.

Women’s basketball  – The women lost to Monmouth College on Feb. 5 with a final score of 48-56. Senior Morgan Potterhad 12 points and senior Karlie Thornscored nine of her own, with two three-point shots made. Freshman Catessa Duranhad nine points with one three-point shot. The women will play Beloit College on Feb. 9 at 1 p.m.

Track and field – The Fire competed at Illinois College on Feb. 2. The women placed eighth out of 14 teams and the men placed tenth out of 15 teams. Freshman Takira Koonce placed first in the women’s 60m with a time of 7.86 seconds, the best time in Knox history. Freshman Austin Rauchplaced first in the men’s high jump with a jump of 2.00m, his second best this season. The teams have their next meet on Feb. 9 at Monmouth College.

Swimming and diving – The teams competed at Beloit College on Feb. 2. The men fell 121-20 and then the women fell 80-56. Halle Gerashwon the women’s 1650 freestyle with a time of 21:19.86 and also earned first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 6:36.35. Joseph Hilger placed first in the men’s 200 freestyle with a time of 2:20.52. The teams will compete again at Grinnell College for the Midwest Conference Tournament meet  from Feb. 15 to 17.

Tags:  austin rauch catessa duran halle gerash jordan rayner joseph hilger justin windt karlie thorn mens basketball morgan potter sports briefs swimming and diving takira koonce track and field wes jolly women basketball

Students believe Playground builds confidence