Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 13, 2019

Sports Briefs

Men’s tennis — The Fire competed against Loras College on Sunday, Feb. 10. The team fell 4-5 in a close matchup. Sophomore Brad Newland and freshman Ajay Gustafson won both of their debut singles matches. Newland won 6-3 and 6-3 and Gustafson won 6-2 and 6-0. The men will travel to Lakeland University on Feb. 16.

Women’s basketball — The women faced off against Illinois College on Feb. 13. They won 88-67, keeping their chances of being in the Midwest Conference Tournament. Senior Karlie Thorn had 23 points for the Fire. The team will play in their last regular season game at home on Feb. 16 against Ripon College at 1 p.m. for senior day.

Men’s basketball — The Fire played Illinois College on Feb. 13. The men fell 55-84. Freshman Jordan Rayner had 17 points and four assists and junior Justin Windt added 12 of his own. The Fire will finish their regular season on Feb. 16 when they face off against Ripon College at 3 p.m.

Track and field — The teams competed at Monmouth College on Feb. 9. The men’s team placed eighth overall and the women placed seventh. Freshman Derrick Jackson placed fourth in the men’s 200m run with a time of 23.34. Senior Val Varanese placed sixth in the women’s 60m run with a time of 8.31. The teams travel to Wartburg College on Feb. 16.

Tags:  away gustafson brad newland derrick jackson jordan rayner justin windt karlie thorn men's tennis mens basketball track and field val varanese women basketball

Good athlete project hosts lifting competition
Goals and outcomes of physical fitness