Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 20, 2019

Sports Briefs 2-21

Track and field — The track and field teams competed at Wartburg College on Feb. 16. The men’s team placed sixth and the women placed eighth overall. Freshman Takira Koonce placed first in the women’s 200m with a time of 25.90 seconds, breaking her original school record. Freshman Derrick Jackson placed second in the men’s 60m run with a time of 7.06 and placed third in the men’s 200m with a time of 22.72. The teams will travel to Monmouth College on Feb. 22 and 23 to compete in the Midwest Conference Championships.

Men’s tennis — The Fire traveled to Lakeland University for a meet on Feb. 16 and were victorious, with a final score of 6-3. This is the team’s first win since April 2, 2017. Freshman Ajay Gustafson won his singles match 6-0 and 6-1. Freshman Oscar Sanchez had his first career win with a singles match score of 6-3 and 6-4. Sophomore Brad Newland beat his singles opponent 6-4 and 6-1, then won his doubles match with freshman Dobbin Pine 8-7. Knox will host Illinois Wesleyan on Feb. 23.

Men’s basketball — The Fire had their final game of the season on Feb. 16 against Ripon college. The men had a tough loss, 90-65. Freshman Jordan Rayner had 16 points on his 23 minutes and made six field goals. Junior Justin Windt had 10 points with five field goals made. Freshman Malcolm Bray with nine points and one three-point shot. Sophomore Blake Godbold added nine points of his own. This will wrap up the regular basketball season, ending the season with an overall record of 1-24, ranking last in conference. 

Women’s basketball — On Feb. 16, the women’s basketball team had their last game of the regular season and had to win in order to make it to the Midwest Conference Tournament. The women suffered a tough defeat by Ripon College, with a final score of 60-57. The game was point for point and the Fire even took it to overtime, scoring 17 in the fourth quarter and tying it up 50-50. Senior Morgan Potter scored 16 points and senior Karlie Thorn scored 14 and one three pointer. This will end the season for the women, ending at 13-12 overall.

Swimming and diving — The teams competed at the Midwest Conference Championships on Feb. 15 through 17. Junior Melissa Wood placed tenth in the 100 back with a time of 1:04.21. Senior Joe Hilger earned the Elite 20 award for men’s swimming, being recognized in the Midwest Conference as the student with the highest cumulative grade point average participating in the culminating championship or tournament event. This will end the season for swimming and diving.

Tags:  away gustafson basketball blake godbold brad newland derrick jackson dobbin pine Emily Mosher Fire joe jilger jordan rayner justin windt karlie thorn malcolm bray melissa wood morgan potter prairie fire sports briefs swimming and diving takira koonce tks track and field

Head basketball coach announces resignation