Sports / The Prairie Fire / February 27, 2019

Sports Briefs

Track and field — The Fire competed at the MWC championships at Monmouth College this past weekend, Feb. 22 and 23. On day one, both teams were sitting at 10th place. The first day is mainly for qualifying for the finals, hosted on Saturday. Freshman Takira Kooncequalified in the women’s 60m dash with a time of 7.82 seconds. Freshman Derrick Jacksonqualified for finals, setting a school record in the men’s 60m dash with a time of 6.98 seconds. On day two, the men achieved eighth place overall and the women finished tenth. Koonce earned a conference title in the women’s 200m with a time of 25.69 seconds, setting her own school record once again. Freshman Austin Rauchwas the conference champion in the men’s high jump with a height of 2.03m, one of his best of the year. Jackson placed fourth in the 60m dash, with a time of 7.08 seconds, .008 seconds short of third place. This concludes the indoor track season and the teams will now prepare for outdoor.

Baseball — The men had their first doubleheader of the season on Thursday, Feb. 21 at Greenville College. Knox lost both games, the first 1-4 and the second 3-6. Junior Brendan Powers scored the only run of the first game and senior Spencer Bauer, freshman Benjamin Bucherand freshmanFlynn Hershscored one run each in the second game. Freshman Chase Thieswent two for two with a pair of RBI, his first college game ever. Bauer finished two for five and Powers went two for six. Bauer had two doubles and Powers and Thies each had one. The Fire are scheduled to host Millikin University on Mar. 2, but the game could possibly be moved to another location and/or time depending on scheduling issues.

Tags:  austin rauch baseball benjamin butcher brendan powers chase theis derrick jackson flynn hersh spencer bauer taker koonce track and field

Personal trainer welcomed to athletics