Sports / The Prairie Fire / March 6, 2019

Sophomore Kenzie Funk has been an important component for the Fire so early in the softball season. Her freshman year, Funk batted a .306 on average, with 37 hits and 23 runs. Funk also had a slugging percentage of .372, and an on-base percentage of .375. Funk had 18 RBI on the season as well as eight doubles. As for fielding last season, Funk achieved 148 total chances and had 64 putouts and 76 assists. This is impressive, especially with a fielding percentage of .946 and only eight errors total on the season. Funk also added three double plays.

This season, Funk begins with four runs and three hits in 11 at-bats. This makes for a .273 batting average this season. Funk also has a fielding percentage of .941 this season with 10 assists and six putouts. This is impressive with 17 total chances, and only committing one error.

During the UW-River Falls game that was played on March 3, Funk had two runs for two hits in only three at-bats. This helped the team put a couple more runs on the board, despite being unable to capture the victory.

On the same day against St. Olaf, Funk scored one run with two at-bats and one RBI. She also added three assists and two putouts against St. Olaf.

Against University of Northwestern on March 2, Funk had one run for one hit in four at-bats. On the same day against Macalester, Funk added two RBI.

With her percentages from last season, it will be interesting to see where Funk takes this season. The team will travel to Florida for a spring break tournament, beginning on March 14 where they face off against Wilmington College.

Tags:  athletics kenzie funk prairie fire Softball

Gender differences in lifting and exercise
Professor discusses growing up low-income