Sports / The Prairie Fire / April 3, 2019

Sports Briefs

Baseball — The Fire played Monmouth College in a doubleheader on April 1. The first game, the men won 3-1 but fell in the second, 2-6. Junior Juston Woodard had one run, senior Andrew Recker had one run with four at-bats and freshman Christopher McTeague had one run as well. In game two, junior Kobe Shutter scored both runs for the Fire. Junior Brendan Powers had two RBI in the first game, and Shutter added one of his own. Freshmen Connor Gwaltney and Charlie Gibbons added one RBI each in the second game. The men will play Augustana College on April 4 in Rock Island.

Softball — The softball team played Monmouth College in a doubleheader on April 3. The women fell in both games, 1-10 and 3-18. Freshan Britney Salinas scored one run in the first game and sophomore Casey Hipp, junior Tegan Doherty and freshman Sara Lynch each added a run of their own in the second game. The women will look ahead to April 6 for a doubleheader at home versus St. Norbert College at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Men’s tennis — The men hosted Cornell College on March 31. The Fire fell 0-9 overall. Freshman Dobbin Pine and senior Kyle Yang lost their singles matches 2-6, 2-6 and 3-6, 1-6 respectively. Freshman Brad Newland and Pine lost a close doubles match. Similarly, freshman Misha Broyles and Yang dropped their doubles match as well. The Fire will host Ripon College and Lawrence University on April 6. They will then host St.Norbert College on April 7 and continue their conference season.

Track and field — The track and field teams hosted the Knox Open on Saturday, March 30. The women finished fourth out of five teams and the men finished third out of five. Freshman Takira Koonce placed first in the women’s 200m dash with a time of 26.37, another top-10 performance in school history. Freshman Derrick Jackson placed first in the men’s 400m dash with a time of 53.45. Yohane Griffin placed second in the men’s long jump with a distance of 6.78m, tying for fifth on the all-time Knox performance list. The track and field teams will compete again on April 6 when they travel to Millikin University.

Tags:  andrew recker baseball brad newland brendan powers charlie gibbons christopher mcteague connor gwaltney derrick jackson dobbin pine juston woodard Kobe Shutter kyle yang men's tennis misha broyles prairie fire Softball sports brienfs takira koonce tegan doherty track and field yohane griffin

Rauch ranks sixth at track nationals
Softball and baseball compete over spring break