Campus / News / April 10, 2019

Student Senate Briefing: Senate delays IVCF discussion

Senate tabled their discussion of possible changes to IVCF’s budget at the request of both Common Ground and IVCF at their meeting last Thursday.

During the public comment section, junior Ashley Kerley spoke for Common Ground and asked Senate to postpone their discussion until IVCF had a chance to respond to an open letter Common Ground had sent to IVCF and TKS on April 1. The letter asked Knox’s chapter of IVCF to openly oppose policies from IVCF nationals which the open letter calls “homophobic and discriminatory.”

Junior James Stratton spoke for IVCF as part of the incoming exec. He invited Senate to Interact with InterVarsity on April 15 from 7 to 10 p.m. and said that IVCF was still considering how to respond to the letter.

Senate then changed their agenda, giving IVCF a week to respond with a possible week extension.

There were two finance requests approved: $1,000 from Model U.N. and $150 from Smash House. Model U.N. was completing a request for $500 last week from Resources to Resources to bring the Haitian roots band Kreyòl Roots to Galesburg for their annual charity concert at Fat Fish Pub. Resources to Resources is not currently budgeted so can only request up to $500.

Smash House was requesting money for two events. Fifty dollars will go to an event on Saturday for people to play the Smash games and other fighting games. One hundred dollars will go to an event in May where Smash House will be grilling along with playing Smash.

The Campus Life committee reported that they were in the process of getting hammocks for students to rent.

The transition process to next year’s exec is underway and proposed constitution and bylaw changes are being looked at by exec.

In her advisor’s report, Vice President for Student Development Anne Ehrlich asked senators to come up with some topics they would like administration to address in their annual town hall later this term.

The next Student Senate general assembly will be April 11 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Connor Wood is a senior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor his sophomore and junior years. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center and as an intern with Unified News Group, both in the Madison, WI suburbs.

Tags:  common ground ivcf Model U.N. resources to resources senate Smash House Student Senate Student Senate Briefing

Webb gets justice with Ph.D.
Tea Club hosts local herbalist for workshop