Campus / News / Uncategorized / April 15, 2019

Hate speech graffiti found on campus

Hate speech and the phrase “Fund IVCF” was painted on a wall in the Quads Sunday night. (Photo courtesy of Sadie Cheney)

President Teresa Amott emailed the Knox community Monday morning to inform them hate speech against the LGBTQ+ community had been put up on a wall on campus.

Photos provided to TKS by students who found the graffiti showed it was on a wall in the Quads which is commonly used as place for graffiti, art and event promotions. One side had “Gays suck dick” while another had the phrase “Fund IVCF” painted on it.

The graffiti follows the approval of a student-wide referendum to defund IVCF introduced by Common Ground and approved by Student Senate at their meeting Thursday, April 11. It is not yet known if the graffiti will affect the timing of the referendum, which was slated to start April 19.

In her email, Amott called the act “reprehensible and harmful” and contrary to Knox’s values.

“In this environment, we are called upon to stand up for our values, to reject hateful speech and actions, and to affirm our support for those targeted by this hate,” Amott wrote, referencing bias incidents at Knox and across the country in recent years. “I call upon each and every one of us actively to demonstrate our commitment to an inclusive and respectful campus community.”

This is a developing story. The story will continue here, at theknoxstudent.com and in this week’s print edition of TKS.

Connor Wood is a junior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor is sophomore year as well. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center in Wisconsin.

Tags:  bias incident Bias investigation common ground hate speech ivcf referendum senate

Sports briefs
No one enjoys Weigh the Waste