Sports / The Prairie Fire / April 17, 2019

Sports Briefs

Baseball — The baseball team competed in a doubleheader against Ripon College on April 13. The men fell in both games, 4-8 and 5-10. Junior Brendan Powers scored a run in the first game, and junior Kobe Shutter and senior Tristan Hannah each added one of their own. Freshman Christopher McTeague scored a run as well. In the second game, freshman Andrew Kirchmeier had one run, senior Dalton James had one and Shutter added one as well. Shutter and McTeague had one RBI each. The team faced off against Illinois College on April 17. The men won the first game 13-0 and the second 14-3. Powers and James added three runs each. Kirchmeier had one run of his own. The men will face off against Illinois College again on April 20 in a doubleheader at Illinois College.

Softball —The Fire competed against Illinois College in a doubleheader on April 16. The women fell in both games, 1-9 and 1-9. In the first game, sophomore Mady Ferris scored one run for Knox. Junior Katy Coseglia scored a run for the Fire in the second game, putting them on the board. On April 13, softball had a doubleheader against Beloit College. The Fire split, winning the first game 14-13 and falling in the second 1-9. Ferris had three runs, while sophomore Kenzie Funk and Coseglia each added two more runs; freshman Britney Salinas added two runs as well. Freshman Kylie Wolf and sophomores Casey Hipp and Cammie Stein added one each. In game two, Salinas put Knox on the board with their only run that game. The Fire will compete on April 20 at Grinnell College in a doubleheader at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Katy Coseglia is TKS’ Photo editor

Track and field — The track and field teams competed against Mount Mercy on April 14. The men and women’s teams both placed 13th. Sophomore Danica Dosmann placed fourth in the women’s 10,000m run, with a time of 44:56.20. Freshman Derrick Jackson earned second in the men’s 100m dash with a time of 11.50 seconds and earned seventh in the 200m dash with a time of 23.21 seconds. Freshman Charles Broomfield earned seventh place in the men’s discus with a distance of 42.70m. Junior Alex Baker placed seventh in the men’s pole vault with a height of 3.45m. The Fire will head to the University of Dubuque on Friday, April 19 to continue their season.

Tags:  alex baker andrew kirchmeier baseball brendan powers cammie stein casey hipp charles broomfield christopher mcteague Dalton James danica dosmann derrick jackson katy coseglia kenzie funk Kobe Shutter kylie wolf mady ferris Softball sports briefs track and field tristan hannah

Women coaching men virtually nonexistent
St. Norbert to leave Midwest Conference