Columns / Discourse / April 24, 2019

What is the Armenian Genocide? And why should you care?

On April 24, 1915, over 200 Armenian community leaders were arrested in Constantinople. Most of them were executed shortly thereafter. These executions were a part of the Young Turks regime’s elaborate plan to wipe Armenians off the face of the Earth.

Armenians, like myself, commemorate The Armenian Genocide, every year, on April 24. On the flip side, we fight, every day, for the international recognition of this genocide.

Despite heavy photographic and video evidence of the horrors the Turkish government committed against my people, many nations, including the United States have not called the mass killings a “genocide.” Only 28 countries have.

There is power in information, in research, in recognition. We will keep learning and fighting like we have for over 100 years. But our efforts will get us nowhere unless someone is listening on the other end of the line. Our neighbors and the world turned their backs on us while over a million of us were brutally murdered, starved, raped, taken on death marches. We rose from the ashes we were left to die in. We are still here. We are still fighting. Do not turn your back on us again.

While I cannot present all the information and research on the Armenian Genocide, I can encourage all readers to learn more on their own. Armenian-genocide.org has comprehensive sources for this very purpose.

Eden Sarkisian, Discourse Editor
Eden Sarkisian is a femme of color from Los Angeles. Eden is majoring in economics with a double minor in gender and women's studies and Middle-Eastern studies. Aside from their position as discourse editor, Eden contributes to TKS through their feminist column, "The F-Word," and their comic strips, "Apple Strip."

Tags:  armenian genocide genocide Turkey

Thoughts from the Embers: Students cannot save the three B's on their own
Activist shares unique court case