Campus / News / April 24, 2019

Student Senate Briefing: Students comment on graffiti and LGBTQ+ legal protections

During the public comments section at this past week’s Student Senate meeting, several members of Common Ground continued to speak out in the aftermath of the ongoing IVCF controversy and the graffitied hate speech earlier in the week.

Junior Teslin Penoyer refuted a comment from the previous week’s Senate meeting about there being many protections in place for LGBTQ+ people in the United States, listing off various discriminatory policies in place in the country.

Junior Ashley Kerley questioned Student Senate on how the sentiments expressed by the graffitied hate speech differed from IVCF’s national policies, and remarked that only four senators to date have accepted an invitation to speak with her.

President Sam Cohen announced during the President’s Report portion of the meeting that the IVCF referendum was to be delayed, saying that a decision came from lawyers for the school examining legal concerns over whether a vote to defund IVCF would hold up in the court of law. The referendum has since been canceled.

Cohen stated that at the following week’s meeting he would be presenting proposed constitutional changes, which cannot be voted upon by Senate until a week after being presented. Cohen also noted that the Honor Board would be present at the meeting to propose changes to Knox’s honor code.

Senate approved a $20 funding request by the Good Athlete Project for posters for a Spike Ball tournament to be held on May 11. Also approved was a $125 request by Pre-Law club to provide pizza at an event where the Dean of the University of Iowa’s School of Law will be speaking.

Classics Club brought forward a $325 request to support their annual Classics party. Senate tabled the request to next week, as the club representative was unable to clarify certain elements of the event, such as whether or not the event would be taking place on campus.

The next Student Senate meeting is April 25 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Tags:  briefing common ground funding ivcf Student Senate

Activist shares unique court case
The fight for One Fair Wage