Sports / The Prairie Fire / May 1, 2019

Sports Briefs

Softball — The Fire had a doubleheader against Ripon College on April 28. The women won the first game 5-4 and just fell in the second 4-6. In game one, sophomores Mady Ferris and Kenzie Funk had one run each, and freshman Britney Salinas added two runs of her own. In the second game, Salinas had another two runs and sophomore Casey Hipp had five putouts in the field. The women wrap up their season with this final game.

Baseball — The Fire had a doubleheader against Cornell College on April 29. The men fell in both games, 2-12 in the first and 5-8 in the second. Senior Dalton James and junior Kobe Shutter were the only two scorers in the first game. In the second, Shutter had two runs and junior Juston Woodard added one of his own. The Fire will host Washington University of St. Louis in a doubleheader on May 4 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Track and field — The track and field teams competed at Illinois College on April 27. The women’s team placed 13th out of 14 teams while the men placed 12th out of 13 teams. Senior Alice Lee placed fourth in the women’s shot put with a toss of 11.45m, which is also good for the third place record in Knox history. The team will travel to Monmouth College on May 4 for their final meet before the Midwest Conference Championships.

Men’s tennis — The men competed at the Midwest Conference Doubles Championship on April 28. Knox won the Midwest Conference Sportsmanship award. Freshman Ajay Gustafson and junior Jared Schwarz beat Ripon College’s #1 doubles team with a score of 8-5 before falling in the quarterfinal to Grinnell College 8-1. This will wrap up the men’s tennis season. They graduate one senior, Kyle Yang.

Tags:  baseball prairie fire Softball sports briefs tennis track and field

New execs take on club leadership