Arts & Culture / Mosaic / May 15, 2019

al young art show pictures

Artist Ying Li, after years of painting, found one of her greatest concerns when both viewing and making art to be the feelings depicted in the piece. Li, Professor of Fine Arts at Haverford University, renowned landscape painter and friend to Knox Associate Professor of Art Lynette Lombard, served as this year’s guest judge for the annual Al Young art show. Feelings depicted in paintings were her first considerations while deciding this year’s Al Young Art Prize winners.
Originally born in Beijing, China, Li studied and taught there for many years before immigrating to the U.S. to continue her studies. Many years later, she’s worked, exhibited and taught across the globe. (Rafael Cho/TKS)

Senior Olivia Peterson won both the Al Young Art Prize in painting, as well as the Al Young Art Purchase Prize. Peterson works mostly in landscape painting. Restricted by the winter cold, she found herself interested in man-made interiors. Peterson’s medium for all of these pieces was oil paint, though she does also like to use collage in her work with an overall preference for the texture of the medium. (Rafael Cho/TKS)

Freshman Tyreal Haywood won the Al Young Art Prize in the drawing category. This piece was done almost entirely in charcoal with objects outlined in black ink. With this process Haywood hoped to create shadows in the charcoal and empty spaces. The piece’s inspiration was a skeleton rig located in the art studio that he used for a still life model. (Rafael Cho/TKS)

Zarah Khan is a senior majoring in English literature and minoring in political science. She started volunteer writing during Fall term of her sophomore year.

‘Game of Thrones’ introduces ‘Mad Queen’
Powerlifting Tips: Relieving stress in the gym