Student Senate Briefing: Senators approve new club and budget

Student Senate approved Multilingual Community Corps as a new club in their second to last meeting of the year.

The new club works in the Galesburg community to provide conversation practice for English language learners. So far they have been meeting with community members once a week in the Beanhive, as well as having student meetings. They also hope to offer pro-bono translating services, likely concentrated on supporting Galesburg Public Schools.

Senate also approved changes to the Honor Code which focused on clarifying procedures and organization, such as what constitutes quorum and clarifying the role of the advisors to the parties.

The budget for the Student Activity Fee next year includes $39,120 to the Sustainability Fund and $461,616 for Student Senate’s budget, which includes departments like Union Board and the Broadcast, Internet and Publications Board (BIP). BIP covers funding for campus publications, including TKS. Union Board will receive approximately $142,000 and BIP approximately $115,000.

The Campus Life Committee introduced a motion to buy five biofeedback devices which aid in detection of panic attacs. They would be used by counseling services and rented out to students for them to use. The $795 purchase was approved.

During the public comment section, junior Rocky Meyers shared their experience with food insecurity. Meyers specifically noted that they had tried to get food from the food pantry but that it was practically empty. They brought in photos of the pantry to show to Senate. Dining Services chair and junior Nathan Errampalli said that the Dining Services committee was aware of the issue but that student donations had been lagging. However, he also said that they normally receive the most donations at the end of the term.

Student Senate elections for general assembly next year will end on Friday, May 17 at 10 p.m. See your student email for a link to vote.

The next meeting will be the last of the year and will be on Thursday, May 16 at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Room in Old Main.

Connor Wood is a junior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor is sophomore year as well. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center in Wisconsin.

Campus Safety Log: Theft, Disorderly Conduct
Honor Board sees 47 cases this year