Community / News / October 3, 2019

People’s Page Briefings: Schwartzman wins community award

Schwartzman wins Mike Kroll Community Service Award

Professor of Environmental Studies Peter Schwartzman received the 2019 annual Mike Kroll Community Service Award by the Galesburg Public Library Foundation. The award is given based on contributions to the Galesburg community.

Schwartzman is an alderman, a published author, an urban farmer and the founder of the Knox Prarie Community Kitchen. He is on sabbatical this term but normally runs the environmental studies Urban Agriculture course which uses the Knox Farm.

Four endowed professorships announced

Professors David Bunde, Mary Crawford, Chuck Schulz and Nancy Eberhardt were announced as four new endowed professors by the Board of Trustees.

Bunde is the William and Mary Ingersoll Chair of Computer Science, Crawford is the Philip Sidney Post Professor of Chemistry, Schulz is the George Appleton Lawrence Distinguished Service Professor of Physics and Eberhardt is the Szold Distinguished Service Professor of Anthropology.

The endowed professorships are not specific to departments and are in honor of past alumni who went onto significant success after Knox. Some are funded through bequests from the alumni or in their memory by friends or family.

Connor Wood is a senior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor his sophomore and junior years. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center and as an intern with Unified News Group, both in the Madison, WI suburbs.

Tags:  Peter Schwartzman

TKS Q&A: Scott Crawford
Students struggle with wifi