News / January 29, 2020

Get to know Knox: Rebecca Yowler Q&A

What do you find rewarding about your work?

I love helping students get their research done, but also help them work through assignment issues and finding resources (…) Probably my most favorite is when I get to teach a class and help the whole class learn how to find resources.

Do you have a book you’ve enjoyed recently?

I’ve read “White Fragility” and “Survive and Resist: The Definitive Guide to Dystopian Politics.” (…) This book actually brings all of those books that we read as a kid or in high school that had that dystopian theme, and shows how to use the skills from that book to fight the current administration.

What’s your favorite place locally?

My favorite place in Galesburg is the Prairie Players Community Theatre. I’m involved in the theatre there. I’m on the board and I love going to productions there and helping with productions and even being in them.

What do you enjoy most in your free time?

Figure skating. I still skate two times a week at least in Peoria. In figure skating there are tests you have to take to pass certain levels and I’m working on my bronze freestyle test, which involves jumps. So I’m still jumping and spinning at age 45, which is kind of crazy. And I’m also learning to ice dance. So I’m going to test my first three ice dances next month.

What do you enjoy listening to?

I am a showtunes junkie. I love broadway music. Right now my obsession is “Hadestown.” It just won a Grammy for best Broadway recording, and I love the soundtrack. It’s Ana•s Mitchell and it’s brilliant. I’m also really enjoying the “Beetlejuice” soundtrack. It’s funny, and Alex Brightman is amazing as Beetlejuice.

Do you have a favorite thing about Knox?

I love how Knox feels. As a queer person I feel welcomed and comfortable here, and I’m able to be myself. It’s really nice to work at a place where you’re comfortable being who you are and you don’t feel like you have to fake it.

This interview has been edited for length.

Trust and chemistry fuel Knox's offense
Students volunteer for Bernie Sanders Sanders