Campus / Featured / National / News / April 3, 2020

Two arrested after alumni die in double homicide

Two Knox alumni — Dr. Beth Potter ‘89 and Robin Carre ‘85 — were found killed earlier this week in Madison, Wisconsin.

The married couple were found by a jogger at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 31, in a ditch in the University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum, according to the UW Police Department report. Carre was found dead and Potter died later that day at a hospital.

UWPD have arrested Khari Sanford, 18, and Ali’jah J. Larrue, 18, in the case.

Potter was an associate professor at the UW Medical School, physician at the Access Community Health Centers Wingra Family Medical Center and Medical Director of Employee Health Services for UW Health, a post from the medical school says. She studied French and English Literature at Knox.

Carre was an independent education consultant and former professor at Viterbo University. He studied International Relations at Knox. He was also active in Madison’s soccer community and had been the coaching director at Regent Soccer Club.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported that the couple had four children.

On April 2, UWPD arrested Sanford, 18, on two counts of Party to a Crime for First Degree Intentional Homicide, according to an April 3 release from the department. He knew the family and attended high school with a daughter of the couple.

“Understandably, a violent crime such as this creates significant concern and fear throughout the community,” the release says. “To this UWPD can confirm that the suspect is known to the family — and as we shared in a previous statement, we believe that this was not a random act. It was calculated, cold-blooded, and senseless — and we will continue to do all we can to bring justice to Robin and Beth, their family, and their loved ones.”

The department said they continue to welcome tips or information related to the case.

On April 3, UWPD arrested Larrue on the same two charges. The April 4 release announcing the arrest included that the department believed Larrue and Sanford had shot Potter and Carre.

Update as on April 8:

Larrue and Sanford have both been charged with two counts of First Degree Intentional Homicide, Dane County court records show. Sanford additionally has two counts of use of a dangerous weapon. Each had bail set to $1,000,000. Their preliminary hearing is set to be at 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 16.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, both made initial appearances in court via video conferencing.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported that Sanford was dating the victims’ daughter and had been living with the family. Due to Potter being at risk to the novel coronavirus, Sanford and the daughter moved to an AirBnb. The homicide started as a burglary, the State Journal reported.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Connor Wood is a senior with a double major in English Literature and Environmental Studies. He started as a volunteer writer and then staff writer his freshman year and was a news editor his sophomore and junior years. He has also worked as a communications intern for the Aldo Leopold Nature Center and as an intern with Unified News Group, both in the Madison, WI, suburbs.

Tags:  alumni Beth Potter homicide Madison Robin Carre UWPD

Knox County announces first COVID-19 case
Professor discusses what COVID-19 means to Spain